A long story.....
I haven't been singletrack mountain biking in at least 5 years....maybe more. So today Brad gets this idea that he will hike with the kids while I mountain bike on the same trail. (I don't know how to do any bike repairs so it is essential he is sort of close so if trouble arises he can help and I don't end up carrying my bike for too long!!!) So, off we go. To start off, I decide my bike seat is too high and I have Brad readjust it lower before I start riding. I make it up the first climb, no problems. I realize the lowering of a the seat was a mistake. This means that while by myself I have to whip out the tool kit and raise it up. So far so good on bike fixing skills...I now have one to add to my resume as I accomplished it with no problems. Back on the bike I am thinking to myself how I can barely steer the thing. "What is up with this?" I'm thinking....I feel like I just took the training wheels off my first bike. Starting up the second big climb....a stretch littered with rocks....having more difficulty with the steering. Is it possible my cheerios were spike with tequila this morning? I keep riding along. I'm having some really negative thoughts about the sport of mountain biking though because I used to be able to climb some pretty awesome stuff and I just look pathetic today.
I start up another climb. As this trail is not really shaded, when I spot the tree at the top of the climb I decide to stop there for a water break. When I go to start out after my stop, I have some MAJOR weaving problems. This is not good as there is a very steep cliff to the left. My bike tire gets caught in a bush and I go OVER the cliff!! I landed vertically upside down. Thank goodness for helmets as I hit my head pretty hard on the rocks and cut my back a bit. I then proceed to slide down a bit and get pretty covered in dirt. Olivia is with me and she stands there panting at me from the trail above with a questioning look "why are you laying on the ground? dad doesn't do that when he takes me biking?" So, I get up and get back on the bike. I ride for a bit longer before deciding to head back to the trailhead.
Pretty soon, I somehow hit my knee on the bike. It felt like how you feel when you hit your funnybone in your elbow....so I have to stop again to jiggle around and get the pain away. No sooner than I get going than I just weave myself into some prickly bush and totally fall off my bike into the darn thing. Then I am descending a rocky section and about fly over the handle bars. At this point, I am truly feeling like a hazard to my own health.
I see Brad and the kids in the distance and ride up to them. Brad gets a little chuckle over my dirty appearance. I take off again. This downhill is pretty fun but my confidence is pretty shot. And for good reason. Do I listen to the voice in my head telling me to slow down? No. I somehow hit something and propel myself over the handle bars. I'm getting quick though and I hurdle my bike and just land on the side of the trail and start running until I get caught in some weeds and then eat it.
I manage to make it in one piece back to the Tahoe. I amazingly only have about 8 bruises that I can see at this point plus the sore head,the cut on my back, and three areas with some scratches. Brad is trying to make me feel better by telling me there is a phenomenon with "U" shaped trails that suck your bike tire to the side and make you weave a bit. He tells me that mountain biking does take skill and after a few more times back on my bike I'll be able to ride like I used to. A few more times and I could be dead.
You know when you see the 45 year old women wearing a skin tight body suit and jeans with feathered hair who thinks she looks really good? That is probably what people were saying about me "did you see that lady all decked out like a mountain biker who kept falling off her bike?"......
Monday, September 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment