Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Old Story but still Laughable

The following is an old story...happened back in March but I was talking to the family the other day and they reminded me of it. Made me laugh so I thought I'd share...and maybe it's not quite as funny being relayed through writing...oh well...

I was out doing a home visit for a home study. The family lived on a farm and told me they had all these animals. I told them my dad lived on a farm and I'm from a state with a lot of rural areas. So, they take me out to where they keep the animals. I said something to the effect of "those are really cute goats, taller than most." So the entire clan (6 children, 2 parents) just looks at me like I am the nuttiest thing in the world. The Dad nicely tells me that I have just called the cows they will be butchering for meat GOATS. Then he makes some comment about an animal being "cute." First off, I felt really embarrassed because who does not know the difference between a cow and a goat??? Second of all, I felt bad for the family....these were the skinniest, lamest looking cows I had ever seen in my entire life!!! They were SO skinny that I could see their ribs...not much meat coming off those things! Third, COWS CAN BE CUTE! (and so can goats for that matter!)

Anyway, when the Dad called me the other day, he mentioned the family cows and then proceeded to explain to me what a cow was like they still think I am just the biggest idiot. I'm sure they felt just overly confident having me do their home study when I don't even know the diffference between basic farm animals!

1 comment:

Alix Bryant said...

Claire, I love this story because I can totally picture you commenting on their "goats" as if I were standing right there...