Friday, June 8, 2012

My Little Gardners

We kicked the boys out for the actual planting and had a little
one on one planting time. 
For Mother's Day a few years ago, the hubby and the kids made me a little garden where we could grow a few simple crops. It's really been a family garden with the hubby doing the soil prep, G1 and I doing the planting, all the kids and I watering throughout the summer, and then everyone kicking in to pick whatever grows.  I love doing this kind of stuff with the kids.  We put in our "crops" in over Memorial Day and also planted some flowers in containers for around the yard.   This darn cold weather has required us to get out and cover our plants....even two weeks into June!
My Early Bird
Since he is normally up around 6am, he and I go
out and water the flowers and check out the garden.
G1 is documenting the growth of our beans this year. She has a little chart made up and every day she checks to see if there has been any change. The past few days we are seeing beans and lettuce poke up through the ground so there has been a lot of excitement.  We also have a TON of strawberries this year but they are all still green.  Hoping we can keep the birds out of them!
Peony

We also have quite a few annuals we like to look at around the yard.  This is where the 85 year old in me comes out because I like to look at, take pictures of, an mess around with my flowers.
I about gave up on this rose bush....now this year it has
a bunch of blooms in the back!!!  They are so delicate and tiny!
 I would really like to pretend I know what I am doing with all these flowers around my yard.

Not the best angle for a picture but love
this particular bud.  There are about 40 buds on this rose plant.
It is GORGEOUS now they are a bunch in bloom.
Don't worry...I'm sure I will post more photos
of my roses.
 But I don't.  I just take note of what the people with pretty yards are doing with their flowers.  When they prune.  I prune.   And I wish I would have paid more attention to my Mom and Grandma's and their flower gardens.
Clemantis---this is AWESOMELY beautiful this year.
G1 is my only child who will sit by my flowers for pictures.

Loving our yard this year!!!  And it is so fun watching the kids get excited about watering and caring for all of our flowers!

No comments: